[Talk-us] Trunk

Tod Fitch tod at fitchdesign.com
Fri Oct 6 03:20:19 UTC 2017

> On Oct 5, 2017, at 8:05 PM, Richie Kennedy <richiekennedy56 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Oct 5, 2017 at 5:30 PM, Martijn van Exel <m at rtijn.org> wrote:
>>
>> To my mind these are highway=primary mainly because of at-grade intersections..
>> I am still confused about what makes a trunk road in the US. To my mind it's roads with
>> no at-grade intersections but not built to interstate standards / not having an interstate
>> designation... I'm not looking to open up a can of worms but I would really like to understand.
>
> If that were the case, then we'd have lots of partially controlled
> access routes (i.e. no driveways, but at-grade intersections) to
> change to "primary." IMHO, routes with partial control of access
> should be classified as "trunk" and any highway with fully controlled
> access (all cross roads are grade separated) should be classified as
> "motorway," including those routes that are not quite to interstate
> standards.
>
> On Thu, Oct 5, 2017 at 7:48 PM, Paul Johnson <baloo at ursamundi.org> wrote:
>
>> Alternatively, a single
>> carriageway that is limited access, ie, no intersections, no driveways, only
>> ramps (eg, Chickasaw Turnpike in Oklahoma).  Essentially, almost a motorway
>> but not quite there.
>
> I *strongly* dispute Paul's assertion that a highway that has fully
> controlled  access but is single carriageway should be "trunk" instead
> of "motorway." Access control, not number of lanes, should be the
> primary guidance behind a motorway or trunk classification.

A two lane (one lane each way, probably undivided) limited access (with interchanges) is, I believe, called a “super two” and the wiki calls for that to be tagged as trunk. [1]

Not sure how long that has been in the wiki, but it has been at least a couple of years as I used that guidance in tagging a “super two” in the Sierra Nevada foothills several years ago.

[1] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/United_States_roads_tagging#Trunk_tag