[Talk-us] Trunk

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Fri Oct 6 03:30:20 UTC 2017

On Thu, Oct 5, 2017 at 10:20 PM, Tod Fitch <tod at fitchdesign.com> wrote:

> > On Oct 5, 2017, at 8:05 PM, Richie Kennedy <richiekennedy56 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > I *strongly* dispute Paul's assertion that a highway that has fully
> > controlled  access but is single carriageway should be "trunk" instead
> > of "motorway." Access control, not number of lanes, should be the
> > primary guidance behind a motorway or trunk classification.
>
> A two lane (one lane each way, probably undivided) limited access (with
> interchanges) is, I believe, called a “super two” and the wiki calls for
> that to be tagged as trunk. [1]

Limited access just means few intersections or driveways.  Controlled
access would be interchange exclusive.

> Not sure how long that has been in the wiki, but it has been at least a
> couple of years as I used that guidance in tagging a “super two” in the
> Sierra Nevada foothills several years ago.

Correct, I believe a super-2 is a good qualification to be a trunk, not a
motorway.  While they might have a lot of freeway-like features and offer
freeway speeds, few people would typically consider them a freeway.