[Talk-us] Trunk

Bill Ricker bill.n1vux at gmail.com
Sun Oct 8 04:27:38 UTC 2017

On Fri, Oct 6, 2017 at 11:42 AM, Richie Kennedy
<richiekennedy56 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 6, 2017 at 9:12 AM, Paul Johnson <baloo at ursamundi.org> wrote:

>> That's entirely on you at this point, I edit in good faith.

> OTOH, you did know that a local mapper (me) would dispute the
> classification. I would consider that to be bad faith.

> Likewise, I should clarify that I do not intend to make unilateral
> changes to the map.

Largely separate from the wiki/tag debate about how America should
implement Brit-centric tags (that defy common sense here), the above
portion of the exchange is also important.

Arm-chair mappers should give some leeway to the local on-the-ground mappers.
Even when they're "objectively wrong" *(according to some Brit-centric
wiki tag entry).

NE2 was "objectively wrong" *^ _and_ /unilaterally/ /bulk-editing/
from the /armchair/.

If one of us coastal armchair mappers unilaterally bulk-edits Richie's
local roads, we'd have three out of four NE2-likeness points on us.
There is plenty of wrong to fix without declaring edit-war on Richie's roads.
Let's give the local mapper the benefit of the doubt in the DB at
least until the Wiki-war is finished.
(And even then, cut the local some slack.)

How do we tell if the Way (or Relation, Node) in question has been
Edited by a local?
You've all got your area(s) of interest in your osm.org/user/ profile,
and may even leave diary entries or blog entries on OSM?  If we click
through the users on the edit history, we'll see if their changesets
are spanning the continent or primarily local interest very quickly,
even if the profile description isn't set.

--
Bill Ricker
bill.n1vux at gmail.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/n1vux