[Talk-us] Trunk

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Sun Oct 8 04:54:58 UTC 2017

On Sat, Oct 7, 2017 at 11:27 PM, Bill Ricker <bill.n1vux at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 6, 2017 at 11:42 AM, Richie Kennedy
> <richiekennedy56 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, Oct 6, 2017 at 9:12 AM, Paul Johnson <baloo at ursamundi.org>
> wrote:
>
> >> That's entirely on you at this point, I edit in good faith.
>
> > OTOH, you did know that a local mapper (me) would dispute the
> > classification. I would consider that to be bad faith.
>
> > Likewise, I should clarify that I do not intend to make unilateral
> > changes to the map.
>
> Largely separate from the wiki/tag debate about how America should
> implement Brit-centric tags (that defy common sense here), the above
> portion of the exchange is also important.

Well, except I legitimately had no reason to expect Richie to be upset when
I was catching up on my (then rather huge) backlog of notes; more on that
below.

> NE2 was "objectively wrong" *^ _and_ /unilaterally/ /bulk-editing/
> from the /armchair/.

Annoyingly, a lot of the current trunk debacle is leftover from the mass
edit he did on ref:US to highway=trunk, when it was already in active use
to fill that "bigger than primary, but not a freeway" gap that didn't get
reverted.  Most DOTs have, even on their own maps, in the US have a
different classification for that "freeway like thing with a mix of
intersections and ramps" and "super 2" style roads that is roughly
analogous (in America's own idiosyncratic ways) to a trunk the OSM
classification.  I don't think anybody's really clear what NE2's definition
was on that one other than "anything with a US in the route number is a
trunk if it's not a motorway".  With that in mind, I would encourage to
check the history on trunks (particularly edge cases that could slide to
motorway or primary) and take NE2's opinion with a grain of salt.

Martijn van Exel's dealing with this problem in Utah right now.  I feel
like we'd be closer to a consensus on this in general had the
bulk-edit-to-trunk situation had at least reverted to what was in the TIGER
import.  It wouldn't have been perfect but it would have been closer to
reality than what we got left with, hindsight being 20/20 on this.

> If one of us coastal armchair mappers unilaterally bulk-edits Richie's
> local roads, we'd have three out of four NE2-likeness points on us.
> There is plenty of wrong to fix without declaring edit-war on Richie's
> roads.
> Let's give the local mapper the benefit of the doubt in the DB at
> least until the Wiki-war is finished.
> (And even then, cut the local some slack.)

We're both relatively local to the place in question.  Richie might be
closer, but I'm not obliviously ignorant to the area in question.  We've
crossed paths on the map before and, to my recollection, we've never had
issues.  In my 8 years on the project so far, I can pretty safely say this
is a very cooperative community.  I felt a little blindsided on that, hence
my initial response.