[Talk-us] Trunk

Dave Swarthout daveswarthout at gmail.com
Sun Oct 8 05:28:47 UTC 2017

I m following this conversation in hopes that if it ever gets resolved
someone will update the Wiki. I have my fears that, along with many other
contentious issues, it may never be resolved to the satisfaction of all
parties.

Meanwhile, I'm doing major work in Alaska and although my current focus is
primarily on adding geographic features, this issue has practical
implications for me. The George Parks Highway and the Alaska Highway come
to mind immediately. They are a bit of a mish-mash with some sections
tagged motorway, some trunk, and the speed limit varies from 65 mph in
rural areas down to 40 mph in towns. That's the nature of the highway
system in Alaska where a single highway serves an immense largely
unpopulated geographical and area. Most sections of those highways are
"trunk" roads by most definitions yet they have normal at-grade
intersections, intersections with driveways, tracks, etc.

I'm a novice with highway tagging of this sort but if any of you more
experienced mappers would care to take a look at those two highways, any
feedback would be appreciated.

Keep up the good work.

AlaskaDave

Dave Swarthout