[Talk-us] Rural US: Correcting Original TIGER Imported Ways

OSM Volunteer stevea steveaOSM at softworkers.com
Mon Feb 12 20:11:29 UTC 2018

Clifford Snow <clifford at snowandsnow.us> wrote
> How many of the TIGER imported streets are still untouched?

Thanks for rallying us with this great thrust forward, Clifford, with excellent Challenges, resources and direction.  I'd like to add one more tool I use for TIGER cleanup, the Ito! map at:  http://product.itoworld.com/map/162?lon=-122&lat=47&zoom=9&fullscreen=true

This can be slow to load, and subsequent changes you make take several days to a couple of weeks to re-render, but over a longer-term (months to years) I have found it to be a valuable tool.  When a "divide and conquer" strategy is applied (for example, a county or sub-area of a county), progress becomes visually rewarding.  Seattle, largely dark blue (great!) or light blue (OK for now) looks better-than-average, as you note and as would be expected.  However, as soon as you drop out of the urban megalopolis, things get orange (fix me) and red (fix me FIRST!) rather quickly.  This helps prioritize what TIGER data need attention sooner, like right now!

Remember, after you review tags and alignment of TIGER data, REMOVE the tiger:reviewed=no tag, don't change its value to yes.

I don't want to pick a year as to when the US will "finish fixing TIGER," it might be decades.  But that's OK, it will be worth it, as our map gets better every day.

Happy mapping,
SteveA
California