[Talk-us] Rural US: Correcting Original TIGER Imported Ways

OSM Volunteer stevea steveaOSM at softworkers.com
Mon Feb 12 21:25:02 UTC 2018

On Feb 12, 2018, at 1:07 PM, Tod Fitch <tod at fitchdesign.com> wrote:
> Thank you Steve for that ITO link. I was unaware of that and it really is a nice tool to see the overall status of the TIGER fixup in an area.

You are welcome, Tod; I'm happy to share what I know.

> I used to simply delete the the tiger:reviewed tag. But, based on things I’ve read either in the mail lists or elsewhere, more recently I’ve been deleting all the TIGER tags when I’ve surveyed the road and fixed any alignment, etc. issues. I see on the ITO map that changes the color to black whilst simply removing the reviewed tag turns it blue. . .

Yes, and this makes for an interesting view that Ito map provides, as areas which had roads non-TIGER added (manually or from another dataset/import) do show up as black.  For example, some Native American reservations display as all-black in this map, as many areas received no ways with TIGER tagging.

> Anyway, what is the current best practice dealing with TIGER tags once the road has been surveyed and corrected? Remove all TIGER tags or just the reviewed tag?

As I am not familiar with the "things you've read," while also wondering myself whether additional TIGER tags (tiger:cfcc, tiger:zip, etc.) should remain or be deleted, I also pose this question to the greater talk-us community.  What DO we do with these additional TIGER tags as we endeavor to "clean up TIGER" in the USA?  Is there consensus on a definitive "best practice" for removing or leaving them?  (Consensus is clear that we remove tiger:reviewed=no after we've reviewed the way).

Our wiki https://wiki.osm.org/wiki/TIGER_fixup is silent on this particular issue (of removing or leaving additional tags).  BTW another wiki of ours, https://wiki.osm.org/wiki/TIGER_Edited_Map gives a nice overview/documentation of the Ito map.

We might create a new thread or keep it in this one:  but even as a seasoned TIGER cleanup volunteer, I don't know what to do with additional TIGER tags, and I guarantee everybody reading this that I'm not alone there!

SteveA