[Talk-us] Rural US: Correcting Original TIGER Imported Ways

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Mon Feb 26 03:56:46 UTC 2018

On Sun, Feb 25, 2018 at 8:14 PM, Nick Hocking <nick.hocking at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Paul wrote  "Or maybe the unedited original TIGER that's still around
> dropped to
> highway=road.  "
>

> Given that the *vast* majority of these (with no name) are completely
> fictional, and even those that aren't, are so out of position and so
> wrongly connected as to render them worse than useless, I believe that
> deletion is the only sensible option.

I don't think it's actually fictional in a lot of cases, just *super* rural
and often hard to tell from aerial imagery, at least what I've seen in the
Oklahoma and Kansas area.

However, being able to tell the known-good stuff from a raw unknown in
pretty much any renderer at a glance would be handy.  For example, planning
routes through Death Valley or the Oregon Siskyous.  Both are known to be
low quality deathtraps in TIGER.