[Talk-us] Rural US: Correcting Original TIGER Imported Ways

Clifford Snow clifford at snowandsnow.us
Mon Feb 26 04:10:12 UTC 2018

On Sun, Feb 25, 2018 at 6:14 PM, Nick Hocking <nick.hocking at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Given that the *vast* majority of these (with no name) are completely
> fictional, and even those that aren't, are so out of position and so
> wrongly connected as to render them worse than useless, I believe that
> deletion is the only sensible option.

No doubt that way too many highway=residential are fictional, but there are
a number of valid, just never touched ways. Of the ones that are valid they
often need alignment.

Working on a Maproulette Challenge[1] for Washington state here are my
findings so far:
 1. Most of the old logging roads were entered as highway=residential. Even
though I've gotten some pushback, I mostly delete them. If the road looks
like it's a main forest service road, I convert it to either unclassified
or service.

  2. These highway=residential connect to state highways and tertiary roads
that need significant alignment to imagery. Just delete the old data would
still leave hundred of valid roads mis-aligned.

  3. Next to old logging roads, are ways that should be driveways or
service ways. These are easy to fix.

  4. Occasionally there are valid short segments of these original ways.
For those I remove the review=no tag.

  5. Cleaning up Washington State is a long term process. So far about 3%
have been cleared.

One of the positive outcomes is I've learned how to run a geoserver to
serve open data [2] from the state to aid in the cleanup. Ian Dees has
offered to help me migrate off my home server to the US Chapter's account
on Mapbox. The state data far exceeds what's in TIGER. If you are working
in Washington, please do not rely on any TIGER overlays. Simply put, its
crap.

The cleanup effort is a lot of work. I'm always trying to encourage local
mappers to get involve. It is work that is needs to be done to improve the
quality of OSM in the States. I encourage you to work on your state.

Nick - if you do decide to just delete the ways, I would recommend first
communicating with the community on your plans. Your plans should include
how you plan to repair broken routes in a timely manner.

[1] http://maproulette.org/map/2871
[2]
http://tiles.snowandsnow.us/geoserver/gwc/service/tms/1.0.0/WashingtonRoads:all_wash_roads/{zoom}/{x}/{-y}.png

Clifford