[Talk-us] admin_level=8 boundaries in Parker County, TX

Josh Lee jleedev at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 12:17:49 UTC 2018

Some of the US boundary data gives "USGS DRG" as a source. This seems
to stand for "Digital Raster Graphic" files. It is my suspicion that
this raster was vectorized as part of an import process, but I have no
documentation to support that. Still, I consider it a convenient
explanation for why the data doesn't seem to match anything currently
available from TIGER.

Here at the PA/WV state line there is an anomaly of about 100m:
https://osm.org/go/ZWmfhbe
The current OSM data have the PA/WV boundary as a straight line, but
TIGER says it's not. That's the only reasonable explanation for the
Weirton city border to jut into PA by this much — the city border is
true to currently available TIGER data, and state border needs to be
updated.