[Talk-us] Trunk versus motorway

Albert Pundt roadsguy99 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 04:11:17 UTC 2018

"Tagging freeway ending/beginnings with this scheme is definitely not
standard practice in the US"

By "this scheme," do you mean motorway up to intersection or motorway only
up to last ramp merge? The former is almost everywhere in the US and I very
rarely see the latter. Even after browsing the west and central US just
now, I only saw a handful of motorways ending at the last ramp merge,
including the examples around Tulsa from the original message. From what
I've seen, this practice is almost nonexistent on the east coast, which has
not only more freeways but also more fragmented freeways to serve as
examples.

On Thu, Nov 29, 2018 at 10:09 PM Bradley White <theangrytomato at gmail.com>
wrote:

> > Can I get some voice of reason in
> > https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/64919426?  There seems to be
> quite
> > a few people (and one AARoads forum troll egging it on) that are trying
> > propel the idea that motorways have at-grade intersections, which is
> > obviously incorrect.
>
> I know I'm not going to change your mind, but I'd like to agree with
> the other voices here that this scheme is overly pedantic without any
> real justification for being so. No-one is saying that the motorway
> has an at-grade intersection as you assert; the motorway simply
> begins/ends *at* that intersection. Tagging freeway ending/beginnings
> with this scheme is definitely not standard practice in the US, and I
> don't see how changing this just to split hairs over freeway
> definitions would benefit anyone.

—Albert Pundt