[Talk-us] Address data for Miami Florida United States

Leif Rasmussen 354lbr at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 20:17:27 UTC 2018

Hi Mango,
I have quite a lot of experience with address imports, and would love to
help with Miami.  I have visited Miami several times, and have grown a
liking for it.  Adding addresses there would be a real pleasure.
There appears to be two address data sets - one with "addr:unit", and one
without.  The one with "addr:unit" addresses
<https://gis-mdc.opendata.arcgis.com/datasets/address-with-condo?geometry=-80.369%2C25.708%2C-80.365%2C25.709>
has 1,166,445
points, and the one without
<https://gis-mdc.opendata.arcgis.com/datasets/eef6b33da60d47c0964387960c840eea_0?geometry=-80.274%2C25.715%2C-80.272%2C25.715>
has 586,171 points.  Both of these should be considered.  I would suggest
importing the one with condos, or "addr:unit" features if the quality is
good.  Otherwise, I think that the dataset without addr:unit should be
imported.
Also, the license seems OK.  According to the Miami-Dade County Buildings
Import
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Miami-Dade_County_Large_Building_Import#Import%20Data>,
the license is public domain, which they claim is true of all government
produced data in Florida.
The only issue I see with the data is the size.  My laptop took 5 minutes
to open the address points (including addr:unit, so 1,166,445 nodes) and
more than 20 minutes to edit a single key.  This could be worked around,
though, by splitting up the data.
I created a wiki page for the import
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Miami-Dade_County_Address_Import>,
which is a step of the Import Guidelines
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import/Guidelines>. Sending a proposal
to the local community and imports mailing list will also be needed.
I hope that this import will end up working out!
Leif Rasmussen