[Talk-us] Address data for Miami Florida United States

Brian May bmay at mapwise.com
Wed Sep 12 21:04:09 UTC 2018

I would like to help as well. I've been mapping in Florida for many
moons, live in SE FL, and would like to get involved in imports. I think
we should consider merging the addresses with the Microsoft buildings.
As Leif mentioned, buildings from Miami-Dade county have been imported,
but they are incomplete.

Some of the condo buildings have over 100 units. When searching for an
address, IMHO, unit is not important when dealing with a tall building.
My vote is to not consider units because it just clutters the database.

Data in FL is public domain, unless exempted by FL Statutes. Refer to
Chapter 119 -
www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=0100-0199/0119/0119.html

I've also been thinking about how to get more POIs into OSM in bulk
utilizing existing government data that "theoretically" should be pretty
accurate. For eample, Florida requires every business submit a tangible
tax return. What this means is every single business in FL has a record
in the tangible tax file that includes a site address, NAICS code, owner
name, etc. Some have parcel IDs as well.  At the very least, we could
map NAICS codes to OSM feature types like amenity=restaurant. In
addition, I have all parcels for the state of Florida which include land
use types. This could be used to add land use info to buildings as well,
if its residential or not a business listed in the tangible file. We
could go even further by referencing other GIS layers available from
Miami-Dade like schools, hospitals, fire stations, etc. Basically, look
into utilizing more data sets and some overlay queries to add to the
known information about each building. A first step may be to merge all
the relevant various Miami-Dade point layers into one master POI data set.

So just thinking out loud here. I've been a manual mapper for years, but
focused mostly on road improvements, water, and a few other basic
things. But I'm a GIS guy and have been wanting to put the power of GIS
and existing GIS data to use for a while to go beyond the "basic" import
for POIs and buildings.

I know there's a lot of existing OSM data to contend with and this
should be a two step process, e.g. don't blindly place data on top of
data, but rather first pass is greenfield where no buildings exist and
second pass is manually conflate to existing data.

Brian aka grouper