[Talk-us] Address data for Miami Florida United States

mangokm40 mangokm40 at protonmail.com
Thu Sep 13 14:42:40 UTC 2018

Mr. Rasmussen,

Thanks for the offer!  I definitely need help. :)

I looked, and failed to find, the layer without unit#.  That's what I thought would be preferred.  Thanks
for spotting it.  I don't see why we would search for a specific unit on a map.  When I navigate, I would
just want directions to "1234 NW 33rd Ct", not "1234 NW 33rd Ct Apt 6".  If you know
of a good reason for the unit #s, let me know.  It doesn't matter to me, since I don't need navigation in
Miami.  :D
If you think 600k points is big, imagine the building footprints. :)  It's available, if required.  Heck, they
even make a 3d building layer available.  But I don't think we'll enjoy the size.

I knew the license is not a problem.  However, I saved that email just in case it comes up.

I'm going to read the info Mr. Juhász provided.  Unfortunately, I'm way behind here.
Also, I replied to all b/c I think that's what I'm supposed to do.  However, I don't want to 'bug' people on
the list.  Hopefully, someone will let me know if this needs to go off-list.

(_8'()

> I have quite a lot of experience with address imports, and would love to help with Miami.  I have visited Miami several times, and have grown a liking for it.  Adding addresses there would be a real pleasure.
> There appears to be two address data sets - one with "addr:unit", and one without.  The [one with "addr:unit" addresses](https://gis-mdc.opendata.arcgis.com/datasets/address-with-condo?geometry=-80.369%2C25.708%2C-80.365%2C25.709) has 1,166,445 points, and the [one without](https://gis-mdc.opendata.arcgis.com/datasets/eef6b33da60d47c0964387960c840eea_0?geometry=-80.274%2C25.715%2C-80.272%2C25.715) has 586,171 points.  Both of these should be considered.  I would suggest importing the one with condos, or "addr:unit" features if the quality is good.  Otherwise, I think that the dataset without addr:unit should be imported.
> Also, the license seems OK.  According to the [Miami-Dade County Buildings Import](https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Miami-Dade_County_Large_Building_Import#Import%20Data), the license is public domain, which they claim is true of all government produced data in Florida.
> The only issue I see with the data is the size.  My laptop took 5 minutes to open the address points (including addr:unit, so 1,166,445 nodes) and more than 20 minutes to edit a single key.  This could be worked around, though, by splitting up the data.
> I hope that this import will end up working out!
> Leif Rasmussen

(_8'()