[Openstreetmap] london free maps...

Jo Walsh jo at frot.org
Thu Nov 11 22:07:43 GMT 2004

On Thu, Nov 11, 2004 at 10:34:45PM +0100, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> What is your experience with using GPX as the excange format?  Is all
> the information collected included in the format?  Are there existing
> tools available to process and visualise the info?

http://gpsbabel.sf.net is a good cross-platform tool that handles GPX
well. The spec is pretty copious: http://www.topografix.com/gpx.asp
and it is pretty standard. Our friend Rich has a good line on "why GPX
is so very wonderful". His Geo::Track::Log and Geo::Track::Animate CPAN
modules handle it nicely.

http://gpsvisualizer.com/ is a nice webservice that supports GPX among
many other formats...

It's normalising tracks into lines and shapes that concerns me,
really, deciding when to aggregate parallel tracks into one line,
stitching broken segments together into a path, annotation tools that
can quickly allow users to turn sets of lines into shapes; and then
being able to reify new sets of tracks against existing things that we
have decided are definitely lines and shapes... as automatically as
possible, with a helpful GUI for suggesting areas that should be
checked by a human. That's the sort of thing i'd really like ti hear
about other peoples experiences with / algorithms for....

what does openstreetmap have now, that we can data share? i really
liked the look of http://geowiki.co.uk when it started, but my last
email to the maintainer bounced... :/

-jo