[Openstreetmap] Disclaimers on rights of way?

Rev Simon Rumble simon at rumble.net
Tue Dec 6 11:17:11 GMT 2005

On 6/12/2005, "Andy Robinson" <Andy_J_Robinson at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>"The use of OpenStreetMap (OSM) and OSM data is at the user's own risk. OSM
>expressly disclaims all warranties of any kind (whether expressed or
>implied), including, but not limited to the implied warranties of fitness
>for a particular purpose. The absolute and relative positions and other data
>referencing point, linear, and area features depicted in OpenStreetMap and
>available from the OpenStreetMap dataset are not guaranteed and OSM makes no
>warranty that the data or visual mapping available will meet the user's
>requirements. No communication, whether oral or written, obtained by a user
>from OSM or from anyone involved with the development of OSM shall create
>any warranty."

I'm alergic to opaque legalese bullshit and think the world is starting
to be run by and for the benefit of lawyers.  This trend must be
reversed.  To say nothing of the fact it looks like you've lifted that
from somewhere, which is probably a copyright violation ;)

How about a plain English disclaimer like this:
The data in OSM is collected from individuals.  We can't make any claims
or guarantees of accuracy because they could be putting any old garbage
in our dataset.  Be sure to take this into account when using the data
and don't rely on it for anything really important.