[Openstreetmap] Disclaimers on rights of way?

Rev Simon Rumble simon at rumble.net
Tue Dec 6 11:38:13 GMT 2005

On 6/12/2005, "Andy Robinson" <Andy_J_Robinson at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>I'm all for making it simple and plain. But since we are making a disclaimer
>to stop a user making a claim through the courts then surely it has to meet
>the requirements of the legal profession and not us. If the plain English
>approach is acceptable to them then I'm definitely for it.
>I suspect they might have a problem with the legal definition of "any old
>garbage" though :)

Contrary to popular belief, legally-valid text can in fact be written in
plain English, using standard English terms and idioms.  "any old
garbage" is entirely clear and unambiguous.  I would argue that
legalese is designed to confuse and obfuscate while remaining legally
valid, which is entirely orthoganal to what we're aiming for here.

People are far too trusting of lawyers.