[Openstreetmap] Naming segments using applet

Tom Carden tom at tom-carden.co.uk
Tue Dec 6 16:42:28 GMT 2005

On 12/6/05, Peter Knowles <peter at peterknowles.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've just started entering in GPS tracklogs and laying down nodes/segments
> for my area. I'd like to name these segments now. Am I correct in assuming
> that I would have to name each individual segment of a street in order to
> make it clear that this is a single, consistent object/track?

Yes, that's what you'd have to do if you were going to do that by
hand, but I wouldn't bother right now.  Any effort to do this by hand
will be rendered useless by an automated/semi-automated method - it's
just not worth starting.

> That's pretty much impossible, considering that some of the streets are
> made up of *many* segments (a single bend has multiple segments). So, what
> is the best way to achieve this?

I wouldn't advise sitting and naming every segment of a street right
now - just put the name somewhere in the middle.  Actually I'd just
make sure at least one segment per block is named - somebody (must
look up who) suggested a nice clean definition of a "block", something
like a chain of nodes/lines between junctions...  It would be a
trivial to write a "copy segment name to all block segments" function
for the applet, once the selection model is improved.

There have been lots of ideas passed around about how to improve the
selection model, though as far as I know nobody is working on it right
this second.

Comments/suggestions here, or if you're a coder assign yourself the
ticket and take a look at the applet:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/trac/ticket/30

> Do you guys use the josm editor, or
> osmeditor in order to extract the data from the DB, join the partial
> segments into tracks and then update the DB again?

There is no data type for collections of segments in the DB yet as far
as I know.  It's coming though, and then yes I would think that one
useful thing the more advanced clients would do is to combine segments
into streets.

Please add comments or suggestions here:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/trac/ticket/32

> Can some kind soul walk me though this? How do I pull/push the data from
> the DB using osmeditor/josm? What tags do I need to add to the tracks?
>
> Also, I found it pretty painful entering the nodes/segments using the
> applet. Firstly, as others had mentioned, the nodes kept on disappearing
> after I had placed them down. I had to keep repeating the edit until it
> stuck.

That's a bug, right? I don't see a Trac ticket for it, but I might
have missed it.

Would one of the people who is consistently suffering from this bug
please submit it to Trac.  I've not experienced it so I couldn't
explain it properly... Lars I think you wrote out a fairly
comprehensive description?

> Grrrr. Also, more importantly, the mouse cursor flickers terribly
> on my Sun 1.5 JVM in Linux/Firefox. I didn't see a ticket for this in
> Trac.

Then please feel free to make one :)

> Is it just me?

Almost certainly not.