[Openstreetmap] Re: Naming segments using applet

Peter Knowles peter at peterknowles.com
Tue Dec 6 22:41:10 GMT 2005

Andy Robinson [Andy_J_Robinson at blueyonder.co.uk] wrote:

> No need to annotate every single line segment. That would drive me mad too.
> At least a single instance between junctions and a few more dotted here and
> there for longer runs will be sufficient to help users edit in the future.
> This assumes that you continue to use the applet, which is only currently
> capable of naming each segment and nothing else.

Okay, thanks for the info. That sure beats labelling every node.

> The problems with loss of line segments when editing only seems to affect me
> at the busy times (UK evening). If I'm editing in the morning I rarely run
> into this issue so I tend to do it then if I can to avoid the current
> problem. Not an answer but at least a possible workaround.

I think you're probably right about that. I was doing some more editing
tonight, and it was okay at about 20:00-21:00 GMT, but thereafter it
started to get really bad. After more than 7 attempts at joining a couple of
nodes, I just gave up. Zooming in/out was also taking a really long time, and
the yellow track dots weren't loading in half the time. Looks like CPU/HD load
or bandwith saturation.

I guess I'll have to schedule my editing for off peak times.

Regards,
Peter