[Openstreetmap] Buying Ikonos data

Paul Makepeace openstreetmap at paulm.com
Mon Feb 7 15:02:23 GMT 2005

Je 2005-02-07 14:49:08 +0000, Andy Armstrong skribis:
> On 7 Feb 2005, at 10:55, Lester Caine wrote:
> >So in the same tradition. I can't warrant the accuracy of the data but
> >I do not believe that there is any infringements if I was to make it
> >available, and then others can provide fixes when they are identified,
> >and add additional local information.
>
> I reckon the question of what constitutes a derived work is one that's
> going to have to be addressed, isn't it? I mean you could just harvest
> the whole postcode database from streetmap.co.uk but I imagine that
> would be an infringement :)

I would strongly recommend contacting the Royal Mail who owns this data
(it's not the OS) and finding out what the situation there is. I'd be
*extremely* surprised if data you own can be arbitrarily reused.
AIUI, it's a real earner for the RM.

At the very least any data you have you will need the agreement under
which its use and scope of use is permitted. It's almost certainly a specific-
use license.

FWIW, from work with urbantapestries.net where we had access to live
data and comparisons with online sources there is quite a bit of churn
in the postcode data. No doubt assisting its 'real earner' status :)

The UK maps online are disappointingly old. The street I live on for
example was created about six years ago and isn't on any of them. Even
the TomTom Navigator GPS software I've run into missing data (on a late
night date, embarrassingly ;-)

Paul

--
Paul Makepeace .............................. http://paulm.com/inchoate/

"If smotherjam, then why does he look at me with those shoe-tying eyes."
   -- http://paulm.com/toys/surrealism/