[Openstreetmap] Re: Openstreetmap Digest, Vol 5, Issue 8

Matt Amos matt at matt-amos.uklinux.net
Thu Jan 27 19:07:01 GMT 2005

On Wednesday 26 January 2005 16:18, wabanstar wrote:
> I was wondering if this forum is UK based or has an
> international scope?

as Petter says, we're interested in doing this internationally and a
lot of the people on this list aren't based in the UK.

> Are you going with vector files
> and parcel centroids point addressing?

the plan is for the map to be vector-based with meta-data tags for
things like post/zip codes, etc... we aren't envisaging a "global
addressing system" capable of finding any address, but if we do get
post/zip location data then it would be a possible application.

the actual point format is likely to be a hierarchical triangular
decomposition over a Dymaxion icosahedron, but that will almost
certainly be an internal detail only and we'd present WGS84 lat/lon
to the user.

> and do you plan
> to do routing as well.

hopefully. there are plans to include tags for one-way streets and
complex junctions (possibly also speed limits) so that valid routes
can be computed.

> Will it be a PC network or have
>  its own server and administration or just an informal
> network?

the raw GPS data will be stored centrally and CC(-something) licensed,
so that it can be mirrored and replicated. format details for the
roads database haven't been sorted out yet, as we're still working on
the ideas.

> Just curious, as I am US based and have
> interests in the above if anyone cares to respond.

iirc, the US is very well covered by Tiger, but you're welcome to
contribute. we're still in the early stages of working out the design
of this whole thing, so if you have any suggestions which might make
your use easier, then let us know!

cya,

matt