[Openstreetmap] mapserver experiments with OSM data

Chris Holmes cholmes at openplans.org
Sun Jun 5 13:34:40 BST 2005

> Message: 2
> Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2005 10:49:11 -0700
> From: Jo Walsh <jo at frot.org>
> Subject: [Openstreetmap] mapserver experiments with OSM data
> To: openstreetmap at vr.ucl.ac.uk
>
> hello
>
> i've been playing around with the OSM street segments and mapserver
> WFS/WMS stuff...  e.g.
>
> http://map.wirelesslondon.info/map/osm?center=51.52+-0.14&zoom=6
> http://map.wirelesslondon.info/map/osm?center=59.93+10.75&zoom=6
>
> the first is the london map, the second is the oslo one. both look
> promising. this is a bit slow 'cos it's using the JPL landsat WMS for
> the base layer outside of our false-colour London image.
> this is also republishing the street segments via WFS:
> http://map.wirelesslondon.info/map/wfs.cgi?service=WFS&request=GetCapabilities
Sweet.  Though I can't seem to get it to work.  The getcaps works fine,
but then I do
http://map.wirelesslondon.info/map/wfs.cgi?service=WFS&request=GetFeature&typename=a_road_01&version=1.0.0

And I get:
<wfs:FeatureCollection
 xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.opengis.net/wfs
 http://schemas.opengeospatial.net/wfs/1.0.0/WFS-basic.xsd
 http://www.ttt.org/myns
 http://map.wirelesslondon.info/map/wfs.cgi?service=WFS&SERVICE=WFS&VERSION=1.0.0&REQUEST=DescribeFeatureType&TYPENAME=a_road_01">
	<gml:boundedBy>
            <gml:null>missing</gml:null>
        </gml:boundedBy>
</wfs:FeatureCollection>

> this isn't a 'live' service, i just slurped the lines down with a
> script.
> http://scm.kforge.net/plugins/scmsvn/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/freemap/osm/?root=consumotronic
> contains the interface utils i wrote. i'd like to do some simple
> metadata reannotation once that bit of the API is more worked out.
> i wonder if there could be at least a restful way of referring to
> things in your model, where node and segment UIDs correspond to
> URIs... are the IDs likely to change; would you mind someone else, e.g
> us, publishing such a scheme...?
Would be very cool if these aligned with the WMS featureids.  That's why I
wanted to check the getfeature request, to see how mapserver was handling
them.  If implemented correctly they should be unique, persistant ids.
Right now the namespace on the wfs is: http://www.ttt.org/myns which I
suppose is a mapserver default.

Chris