[OSM-talk] baby steps - nebie needs hand-holding - phase 2!

David Groom reviews at pacific-rim.net
Sun Apr 2 12:09:42 BST 2006

Dave
I can't answer all your questions, but here are some thoughts on point 3.

The online editor applet has the advantage of the landsat photo under the
gpx trackpoints, which sometimes may assists in determining what you are
doing. Its also fairly easy obvious how to add names to a way, and how to
denote a way as either a motorway, primary road or secondary road.  (I
assume you have looked at Imi's video introduction to the applet which is
referenced on the Wiki editing page.  The main disadvantage from my point of
view on the online applet is its speed, it is rather slow if you are editing
large amounts of data.  If you feel like using this tool, you convert the
output from your GPS into a GPX file and then upload it via the web site.
I'm afraid I'm not familiar with the Garmin GPS60 so  can't tell you if it
has software which will convert the tracks to GPS format, or whether you'll
need to use GPS Babel to do the conversion (if using GPS Babel I'd recommend
downloading and using the GUI front end to it) .  Also remember that
anything you do in the Applet affects live data, but if you are working on
an area where no one else is working then I guess at present this is not too
important as long as you correct any mistakes.

JOSM handles things very nicely, but has no Landsat overlay.  It will either
read in GPX tracks from your hard disk, or if you have uploaded a GPS track
to OSM it can then download them from OSM.  If you are working on an area
which already has OSM data on it you can download the OSM data as one layer,
and have your GPS tracks from you hard drive as another layer, which stops
you working on exactly the same track as already exists in OSM.  Once you
have drawn your line segments and made ways out of them you can then upload
then to OSM

If you have  access to a Linux machine you could try Osmedit.  The
disadvantage to this is that you have to compile the software from source,
so this may put some people off.  Osmedit can apparently read direct from a
Garmin GPS, but I've not tried it.  Alternatively it can download from OSM,
or read a local GPX file.  I personally don't yet find it as intuitive as
JOSM, but that's probably a matter of choice.  It does have some nice
features such as the ability to overlay height data as contour lines, and
also to grab a Landsat photo of the area, and display this under the tracks
you are working on.

 Personally, at present, my choice would be to use JOSM

David