[OSM-talk] OSM web forums?

Tom Carden tom at tom-carden.co.uk
Tue Apr 4 15:19:19 BST 2006

On 4/4/06, Etienne Cherdlu <openstreetmap-L at gj0.net> wrote:
> Having just introduced a couple of new folk to OSM I got some direct
> feedback about first impressions:
>
> 1) Internet Explorer (with Script Debugging ON): A runtime error has
> occurred.  Do you wish to debug?  Line: 25 Error: 'browserName' is
> undefined.

Need to change this:

<script type="text/javascript" src="/javascript/pngfix.js"></script>
to this:
<!--[if IE]><script type="text/javascript"
src="/javascript/pngfix.js"></script><![endif]-->

And then get rid of the browser sniffing thing in pngfix.js.

> 2) The panel containing the text "OpenStreetMap is a free editable
> map.." disappears once a user has logged in (along with the ads).  It
> ought to be there all the time otherwise it looks like something has
> gone wrong.

Agreed, or replaced with a 'welcome username' and links to more
specific editor help pages on the wiki.

> 3) Not sure if the wiki navigation panel is customisable, if it is
> then it should contain a link back to the main applet page.  It wasn't
> easy for either of them to get back once they had delved into the
> wiki.

Also agreed.  I tried to make the logo under "welcome to
OpenStreetMap" (formerly 30 second intro...) into a link, but I
couldn't work how.  At least I moved it to the left, so it should be
more prominent.

Tom.