[OSM-talk] Summary of the irc meeting.

Tom Carden tom at tom-carden.co.uk
Thu Apr 6 12:48:48 BST 2006

On 4/6/06, Immanuel Scholz <immanuel.scholz at gmx.de> wrote:

> Nice compare, but unfortunatly its flawed.
>
> You cannot be twice in the millitary, since you exist only once. You can
> have two accounts on OSM or registrations at the ML :-(

Yes, and I can pay to be a member twice, etc. etc.

How do you prove that two people aren't the same online... IP address?
(I have access to 5 or 6 easily, around 100 without too much trouble)
Email address? (same as IP), make them report to a chat on IRC? (one
per IP is easy), etc. etc.

You have the right idea to make someone prove that they are someone
who has *done* something, but unfortunately these things are almost as
trivial to work around.

The only hope is to unify all the OSM user databases and insist on
biometric ID ;)

> And the other thing is, that OSMF need some income. Hopefully not much,
> but some money is necessary to keep the tracks logging. So some of us came
> to a conclusion, that this could be combined. (But as I said, the decision
> was postponed ;)

I think this project has too much international/worldwide potential
for us to risk setting a financial barrier to entry.  Perhaps then an
"assisted membership" scheme for folks who can't afford or aren't able
to pay.  (I know we're only talking about membership of OSMF, and not
membership to use the site or data, but I still think it's important).

> > PPS I'd like to be a member please ;)
>
> GAY!
>
> (just kidding ;----)

Quite.  I'll pretend you didn't do that.

T.