[OSM-talk] web site map enhancement, los angeles

Dan Karran dan at karran.net
Fri Apr 7 08:51:18 BST 2006

On 4/6/06, Alex Mauer <hawke at hawkesnest.net> wrote:
> I hope that the uploading of TIGER data won't override my own work, and
> that it will be possible to update/make corrections to the TIGER data
> without having it overwritten the next time the TIGER data is pulled
> in... :-/

That raises an interesting issue - what is the plan for TIGER
integration into the OSM dataset? In areas where user created data
already exists, it obviously shouldn't overwrite that, and also
shouldn't duplicate the efforts.

I can't think of any reliable way of checking to see if a road has
already been included, and without that reliable check, surely you'd
end up with duplicated, though slightly different, data. I suppose you
could check those roads that are tagged with street names, but how
many actually are at this point?

Cheers,
Dan

--