[OSM-talk] web site map enhancement, los angeles

Tom Carden tom at tom-carden.co.uk
Fri Apr 7 08:58:20 BST 2006

On 4/7/06, Dan Karran <dan at karran.net> wrote:
> On 4/6/06, Alex Mauer <hawke at hawkesnest.net> wrote:
> > I hope that the uploading of TIGER data won't override my own work, and
> > that it will be possible to update/make corrections to the TIGER data
> > without having it overwritten the next time the TIGER data is pulled
> > in... :-/
>
> That raises an interesting issue - what is the plan for TIGER
> integration into the OSM dataset? In areas where user created data
> already exists, it obviously shouldn't overwrite that, and also
> shouldn't duplicate the efforts.

Before we declare it 'obvious' that we shouldn't overwrite it, perhaps
we should check how much stuff we're actually talking about.

We could render TIGER data differently for a while to make it easier
to tell what was already there. Then we could make a list of,say, 5km
x 5km bounding boxes which need attention, and put those on the wiki
for interested folks to look through.

> I can't think of any reliable way of checking to see if a road has
> already been included, and without that reliable check, surely you'd
> end up with duplicated, though slightly different, data. I suppose you
> could check those roads that are tagged with street names, but how
> many actually are at this point?

Yeah, I'm kind of disappointed we didn't have a note saying "If your
area has *any* significant free mapping data available elsewhere,
please don't start drawing yet.  Instead please help us import it so
you can start working to improve it instead".

Is the stuff that's there already different/better/worse than stuff
that's in TIGER for the same area?

Tom.