[OSM-talk] Statistics on planet.osm.gz

Immanuel Scholz immanuel.scholz at gmx.de
Thu Apr 13 10:42:14 BST 2006

> If you do that you are creating two logical entities for one physical
> entity.

Yep. That's what I am suggesting. If you have two different logical things
(a highway and a minor city road) for the same physical thing (the asphalt
lying there), then it is best to model that by just doing so.

However, if you have only one road that happen to be called different by
different people (but as example letters are delivered for both names ;-),
then just add both names in the name field. There is no support for do
this in a convinient way yet, but I assume if they are semi-colon
seperated, it would be quite clear how to parse them in.

If (and only if) we really see the need for structural support for road
name lists, we can introduce a more complicated way (maybe by just
specifying "every name can be a semi-colon seperated list of names")

> Would it be possible to have applications, such as JOSM, guide the user to
> the correct attributes to use in certain situations (I know that's a lot
> of work) by providing a standard set in the drop down with a little help
> text for each item.

yea... on my wishlist for months ;-).. *sigh*.

But also, there are support for background landsat (and own userdefined)
images, support for cvs-like merging, editing ways without destroying
them, areas etc etc etc...

if I only had more time.. ;-)

If you want to speed up the progress, apply for
http://trac.openstreetmap.org/ticket/149, which would be good to have for
this feature...

Ciao, Imi.