[OSM-talk] Statistics on planet.osm.gz

Jim Ley jim at jibbering.com
Thu Apr 13 10:49:33 BST 2006

"Immanuel Scholz" <immanuel.scholz at gmx.de> wrote in message
news:44564.80.246.32.40.1144921334.squirrel at www.eigenheimstrasse.de...

>> If you do that you are creating two logical entities for one physical
>> entity.
>
> Yep. That's what I am suggesting. If you have two different logical things
> (a highway and a minor city road) for the same physical thing (the asphalt
> lying there), then it is best to model that by just doing so.

But you don't have a highway other than in the sense of it once being one of
the main roads of the country, the country has since downgraded that road
without downgrading the name - the A30 is another example, for some of its
distance it's a fast good dual carriageway, but then it turns in to a
backroad that no-one goes on.

I think it needs to be described as a city road to stop any future route
planners from deciding it would be a perfectly reasonable route rather than
the longer highway that goes round the city.

Cheers,

Jim.