[OSM-talk] OGL, OSM, NASA

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at crschmidt.net
Mon Apr 24 22:57:44 BST 2006

On Mon, Apr 24, 2006 at 11:44:09PM +0200, Erik Johansson wrote:
> On 4/24/06, Christopher Schmidt <crschmidt at crschmidt.net> wrote:
> > > Ok, what is it that you need documented, the wms URLs that are
> > > available and the format of the OSM xml format?
> > >
> > > http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/WMS
> >
> > Linking to the page where I documented the things I couldn't find isn't
> > very conducive to proving that the WMS is well documented ;)
>
> Ah we all make mistakes.. ;-)
>
> well you are right the OSM servers can't really be used in any other
> context than the one we have here. Is there something that could have
> eased your use of the XML dump?

Finding it. "Database Dumps" and so on didn't find it, so I had to wait
until this morning when someone else emailed me to let me know about it.

A MySQL dump would have been much more useful for me -- I don't have any
experience in working with gigantic XML structures, and I only succeeded
in working with this one because sxpert was recently writing code to
parse the OSM API and provided exactly what I needed.

> I feel your pain in this issue, there are some other applications of
> the WMS server that are no longer usable because of this limit.

Perhaps I'm confused, but wouldn't it be possible to move the planet.osm
data to another server, run a WMS in front of it, and export that for
people? It would make it so easy to get visuals of the OSM data --
something that is damn hard with the current setup.

If *I* can do it, I'm sure someone else can do it better. These things
don't need to be perfect. The most up to date segments are not neccesary
for every application, and it seems to me that even serving the whole
world works at a relatively acceptable speed without bringing my server
to its knees.

> I'm guessing your remark about the api was just based on the
> slugginess of API calls?

Yes -- There's no way to get the data out quickly enough to do anything
with it in real time.

--
Christopher Schmidt
Web Developer