[OSM-talk] Mapping IoW (I'm a new person with possible interestindoing something)

Tom Carden tom at tom-carden.co.uk
Tue Apr 25 19:04:14 BST 2006

On 4/25/06, Dan Karran <dan at karran.net> wrote:
> On 4/25/06, Nick Whitelegg <Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> > I'm not 100% sure, but I *think* that it would be violating copyright law
> > to copy the status of a footpath from an OS map. However, I also *think*
> > that the footpath status indicated on the County Council definitive maps
> > is public domain (however they are typically overlaid on a copyrighted OS
> > map). Don't take this as advice (IANAL), I'm as much asking the question
> > as answering it. Anyone more certain of this?
>
> I'm no more certain than you Nick but I'd say that you wouldn't be
> copying the status of the footpath from the map, more using the map to
> find footpaths and then using any information from signage (they're at
> least signposted with a green man, aren't they?) as the information to
> tag the tracks with.

I agree with Dan: if you're using copyrighted maps to find things to
survey, please collect evidence of the path status, road name, etc.
from the real world too.  If there's no evidence there, don't blindly
copy it from the map no matter how sure you are it's correct  - it
might be an easter egg.  Sad but true.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Copyright_Easter_Eggs

Best,

Tom.