[OSM-talk] Apologies

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at crschmidt.net
Tue Apr 25 20:41:04 BST 2006

On Tue, Apr 25, 2006 at 08:47:10PM +0200, Immanuel Scholz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > I also want to apologize for creating a WMS server for the data - I
> > didn't realize that I was possibly endangering the OSM project,
>
> What the... ? Who said making a WMS server would endanger the OSM
> project??? OF COURSE we want an WMS server which is capable of
> delivering OSM data. The main server has one already. (Although it is
> not the fastest one ;-)

Er, Steve said that things like what I had done were not encouraged,
because of the legal issues with Google Maps. Perhaps I misunderstood
something here.

The main WMS server has limitations which make it mostly useless for
lots of purposes, which limits the ability to copy data from Google Maps
into OSM, which is the only thing that I can think of that meant I was
doing something taht wasn't a good idea. Providing the ability to see
maps for a wider area makes it easier to copy date from one to the
other, I guess?

I'm just trying to figure out how I can bring what i had back up without
causing problems for OSM, and I don't know how I was causing problems,
so I don't know what needs to change.

--
Christopher Schmidt
Web Developer