[OSM-talk] Apologies

Erik Johansson erjohan at gmail.com
Tue Apr 25 23:03:15 BST 2006

On 4/25/06, Christopher Schmidt <crschmidt at crschmidt.net> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 25, 2006 at 08:47:10PM +0200, Immanuel Scholz wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > > I also want to apologize for creating a WMS server for the data - I
> > > didn't realize that I was possibly endangering the OSM project,
> >
> > What the... ? Who said making a WMS server would endanger the OSM
> > project??? OF COURSE we want an WMS server which is capable of
> > delivering OSM data. The main server has one already. (Although it is
> > not the fastest one ;-)
>
> Er, Steve said that things like what I had done were not encouraged,
> because of the legal issues with Google Maps. Perhaps I misunderstood
> something here.

The problem isn't with the WMS server but the fact that you had google
maps and OSM data no the same page, and you linked them with that
little blue dot.  It's only about copyright scare, and that "link"
between gmaps and OSM is not very good.

I was trying to figure out what you meant by those projection errors,
and then the page went Pasword protected. Very sad, since another WMS
is always good to have.

> I'm just trying to figure out how I can bring what i had back up without
> causing problems for OSM, and I don't know how I was causing problems,
> so I don't know what needs to change.

Just put up the WMS/webpage without gmaps.

--
/Erik