[OSM-talk] Google Maps maps most of Europe

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Wed Apr 26 10:09:27 BST 2006

Simon Hewison wrote:

> If anyone has looked at the data for Ireland, it looks clear to me that the
> Tele Atlas didn't buy the data from Ordnance Survey Ireland, and the data
> looks about as complete as OSM has for the UK.

Help!  The street (Malmslättsvägen) runs across my house and
continues out in the middle of the cemetary!  Where is the "edit"
link?

http://maps.google.com/maps?t=h&ll=58.408,15.602&spn=0.003,0.01&om=1

Part of the error can be explained by the fact that the satellite
images are taken from the south-east.  You see the south and east
walls of towers and tall buildings.  If you continue these walls
down to the sea level (40 metres into the basement), that might be
where the street is drawn.  The errors that I see are streets
drawn too far south-east.  I don't know if the streets are wrong
or if the images are.

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)