[OSM-talk] Organisation of Wiki pages

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Fri Aug 25 22:32:49 BST 2006

Etienne wrote:

> Should we even be using the wiki as a gallery of places?

No.

It's a waste of effort.  Nobody can keep such pages up-to-date or
make pages for every place.  The scheme doesn't scale, neither
with space (every place) nor with time (keep them updated).
Wikipedia can (and does!) try to document every place on earth,
and if you provide geo coordinates there, the map link provides a
way to find the OpenStreetMap.

The OSM wiki is degrading into a marsh of unstructured pages with
randomly chosen names.  This problem is largely self-regulating,
though, since the next new user who tries to create a page named
"OSM Workshop" or "Accommodation" will crash into the existing
ones. Nobody knows how many pages we have with nonsense names such
as "To Look At", "Tricks and tips" or "Where Are They", but in the
Darwinian wisdom of the universe, those who write under such page
names don't spread there memes very far.

You can learn more about how bad it is from the links at
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Special:Specialpages

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)