[OSM-talk] OSM data in Google Earth

Jon Stockill lists at stockill.net
Tue Dec 19 09:44:25 GMT 2006

Tom Carden wrote:

> But please avoid using copyrighted data to help make your map, the
> temptation to "just fill in this last part" without checking in real
> life is very strong.  Although I'm not accusing anyone of weakness, it's
> much easier just to avoid it all together.  Of course we can't stop you,
> and OSM-KML hacks are undeniably very cool :)

The exception here being NPE - I've found it incredibly handy for
mapping out suitably old housing estates. It just needs me to go and
collect all the names now :-)

I've been using NPE for railways too - very little has changed over the
years. You may need to go and re-tag something as abandoned, but in 99%
of cases it's still recognisable as a railway line, and in use as a
footpath or cycleway. A local train timetable also helps you with which
sections are still in use.

--
Jon Stockill
lists at stockill.net