OSM's future. Was: Re: [Openstreetmap] OSM Performance is terrible

Preben Mikael Bohn preben at chin.dk
Fri Feb 3 11:08:25 GMT 2006

> I don't like the idea of servers serving dedicated regions because that
> would make it hard for the system to grow in the future. It would work as
> a short term soloution, maybe. but i don't think it is a good approach
> for the nearby future because if a new server is added it has to take
> away some parts to serve from other users. I would prefer to split server
> load by session, not by region.

The problem is that if you have to split it by session you need to have
the entire database on each of the servers. I would for example not mind
having the database for Denmark on my server, however I _would_ mind
having to have 1TB (or whatever it takes to have images, GPS data, roads,
etc) of data for the entire world.

If the project had the resources to have a bunch of high-quality,
high-bandwidth, 100TB machines running all the time then obviously this
would be the best approach; however it is my understanding that this is
not the case (for now at least).

Just my two euros... :-)

Best regards Preben