[Openstreetmap] Re: OSM's future.

Immanuel Scholz immanuel.scholz at gmx.de
Fri Feb 3 11:23:51 GMT 2006

Hi,

> The problem is that if you have to split it by session you need to have
> the entire database on each of the servers. I would for example not mind
> having the database for Denmark on my server, however I _would_ mind
> having to have 1TB (or whatever it takes to have images, GPS data, roads,
> etc) of data for the entire world.

I think, what he means is, that you can host all requests for denmark, but
do not "own" denmark. You have to get your data from a central server
(hosting the world) and are obligated to transfer changes the user made to
the server (or maybe forward all changing requests at all).

This way, Denmark can be accessed very quickly, without server bandwith
used but without the need to host the whole world on every local server.

Think caches, not servers. ;-)

(This reminds me of DNS.. Someone already tried to setup a dns cache for
WMS tiles? *g*)

Ciao, Imi.