[Openstreetmap] Editor question

Nick Whitelegg Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk
Wed Jan 25 15:34:30 GMT 2006

---------------------- Forwarded by Nick Whitelegg/FT/Southampton Institute
on 25/01/2006 15:34 ---------------------------

 (Embedded
 image moved   Nick Whitelegg
 to file:      25/01/2006 15:34
 pic10712.jpg)

To:    Tom Carden <tom at tom-carden.co.uk>
cc:
Subject:    Re: [Openstreetmap] Editor question  (Document link: Nick
       Whitelegg)

Tom Carden <tom at tom-carden.co.uk>
25/01/2006 13:33

Sent by:    openstreetmap-bounces at vr.ucl.ac.uk

To:    openstreetmap at vr.ucl.ac.uk
cc:
Subject:    Re: [Openstreetmap] Editor question

Nick Whitelegg wrote:

> While recognising the problem of duplicate tracks I would like to defend
> the 'offline' approach a little.... from a usability point of view I much
> prefer the idea of a 'one pot' program to do all the following:
>
> - read GPS track data
> - allow the user to create segments from the GPS track points
> - upload the data to OSM
>

>There is no mention there of downloading from OSM before editing or
>uploading.  I still think that this is misguided, and that any defence of
>an offline method must also address conflict resolution and versioning.

I think downloading from OSM before uploading is a sensible constraint, and
indeed that is what I do when I upload new GPS data. However there is still
room, I feel, for offline editing prior to this.

>I've already said - the automated inclusion of 'dodgy points' isn't really
>the issue.  They can be filtered out.  The problem is that (with luck, in
>the future) there might be more than one person committing edits to the
>same place - how do you propose to deal with this if you've been editing
>offline for a significant period of time?  At the moment, the online
>(applet) method deals with this by restricting the editing process to
>small areas, and requiring you to refresh the live data when you move
>around.  Conflicts can still occur, but they will likely be less drastic.

This could be done in osm-editor, and perhaps has already been done in JOSM
and osmpedit?

Nick

Tom.