[OSM-talk] relating trace points to gpx files

Erik Johansson erjohan at gmail.com
Mon Jul 24 13:02:24 BST 2006

On 7/24/06, Petter Reinholdtsen <pere at hungry.com> wrote:

> [Erik Johansson]
> > You should always create OSM data layers from a GPX file you yourself
> > have created. Never from traces that is downloaded from the server.
> > And I'm not quite sure why it's not strictly verboten. Imi?
>
> What a strange idea.  I've drawn most of Oslo based on GPS points
> downloaded from the server, and believe it is a very sensible way to
> create the OSM data layer.  Almost none of the GPS points gathered in
> Oslo have been collected by me, and I fail to see the problem with it.

Well I was under the impression he was using the JOSM feature to
create a data layer directly from the GPX traces. Given the amount of
data you have in Oslo/London/Köpenhamn drawing manually is an
requirement.

Automatic generation of segments is a nice feature, I only wish more
people could be working on it.

--
/Erik

--