[OSM-talk] Labling places with Labels

Erik Johansson erjohan at gmail.com
Thu Mar 2 15:48:48 GMT 2006

I was lamenting the fact that I can't go to Isle of wight nor Debconf.
So I started thinking of labling the island with all the name that are
available on the map, and realized that I don't know how.

And since Evan brough up the geonet names, I see it there is two ways
of doing this, using OSM or using geonames.org

1. OpenStreetMap
I would just creat nodes and giving them the appropriate tags/attributes e.g.
* name=Birghstone;class=village;zoomvisibility=9
* name=Newposrt;class=city

2. Geonames.org
doing the same and then import it to open street map, this would seems
agood idea because of the webinterface it's easier to edit. But
because of the amount of data there it's really a pain to edit.

Am I on to something, or is it obvious how to do this?

--
/Erik