[OSM-talk] Labling places with Labels

Etienne Cherdlu openstreetmap-L at gj0.net
Thu Mar 2 16:59:30 GMT 2006

Erik
This sounds to me like it would work.

The labelling scheme is defined rather informally on the Labels page within
the wiki (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Labels ) but there is
nothing about place names in the nodes section (except class="hamlet").

The zoom visibility makes sense as well although I don't think there is any
precise definition of what a zoom level means in OSM (the zoom levels for
the applet may be different from the zoom levels used by a PDA device, for
example).  Perhaps the client should use the class property to decide
whether to display the node.  Nodes with class=city would be displayed at
zoomed-out levels, nodes with class=village would only be displayed at
zoomed-in levels.  It would be up to the client to decide what to show.

Be sure to add to the Labels page on the wiki with whatever you decide to
use.

BTW I am experimenting with rendering maps using colour for different
classes of roads (see
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/KT13_Weybridgefor an example).
 If you settle on some scheme then I think I could render
the names on these generated maps quite easily.

Etienne