[OSM-talk] How to save Tracks from GPS as .gpx

Colin Mackay colin.mackay at gmail.com
Fri Mar 3 22:18:37 GMT 2006

On 03/03/06, Joerg Ostertag <openstreetmap at ostertag.name> wrote:

> > http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/How_to_get_data_from_a_Geko_201
>

> Sounds like a nice Idea, But what about adding some Info like:
>  - Which Operating System? Probably Windows in your Case.

Good point. Being a .NET developer I often forget there are other OSes
out there.

>  - Which "GPS Utility" ? Maybe "Garmin MapSource" in you Case.

Actually, the GPS Utility I'm using is actually called "GPS Utility" -
it seems to be a generic one that handles multiple devices. I've
linked to its home page in the article, you can download it from
there.

>  - If you use Garmin Mapsource it's important to Update to
>   the current Version, since the old Versions don't
>   support gpx for saving
>
> For Windows I personally would distill it to:
>  - Connect you GPS to your Windows PC and download the Track
>   as described in your Garmin Manual.
>  - Save the Track with "Save as ..." and select GPX as format.
>  (This is What i do with my "Garmin E-Map" if I happen to use Wxxx)
>
> For Unix:
>  gpsbabel -t -w -i garmin -o gpx -F <OUTFILE.gpx>

Unfortunately, I wouldn't presume to write a "How To" unless I can
actually follow the instructions myself. The other point is that I
don't like how to guides that diverge for various technologies. My
thinking on a "How to" is that the reader ought to be able to get
going without having to constantly answer questions. In other words
the conditional flow of the document should be kept to a minimum.

> --
>
> Sorry

Why sorry, there was some good advice in there - which was what I was
looking for. Thanks for your comments.

> Joerg

Regards,
Colin.