[OSM-talk] BSD/CC-by/LGPL vs. SharedAlike - decide now and forever

Wed Mar 22 09:26:38 GMT 2006

Lars wrote:

> Case 2: I release my data under CC-SA-BY and somebody uses it for
> a derived work, and they don't publish the source to the derived
> work.  This is not OK, it is a violation of the license.  But they
> don't care.

It is ok, isn't it?

CC-BY-SA doesn't require you to publish the source. It's not like the
GPL in that regard.

It could be argued that this seriously restricts the utility of the
ShareAlike clause for geodata, of course. You would have to manually
trace the geodata from the derived work (map or database). You'd lose
accuracy, and some web interfaces might make the process very tiresome.
(This echoes Schuyler's point from the other day about CC's
unsuitability for geodata.)

LGPL _does_ require you to make the source available - another strike
in its favour.

Richard

P.S. Andy - yes, I'd be interested... not sure about the rugby sh1t
tho'...