[OSM-talk] OT: Illegal piracy (Was: BSD/CC-by/LGPL vs. SharedAlike - decide now and forever)

David Sheldon dave at earth.li
Wed Mar 22 10:07:55 GMT 2006

On Wed, Mar 22, 2006 at 10:07:44AM +0100, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
>   You are doing them a service if you
> accept that all piracy is illegal. :)

Piracy is a crime, and it was one of the last crimes that we (the UK)
had the death penalty for, and it has nothing to do with copying DVDs.
I think it is important to fight piracy and keep shipping lanes safe.

There were adverts in the UK saying that Piracy funds Terrorism, and
people made complaints. The advert was upheld on the grounds that during
the early 1990s the IRA made some money from selling bootleg DVDs at car
boot sales. See: http://www.ntk.net/2004/04/23/ where they made the
point that it is now people's duty to file-share for free, beating down
the price of pirated material and driving the terrorists out of
business. For some reason I don't think that this would stand up as an
excuse.

David

--
DISCLAIMER:
Use of this advanced computing technology does not imply an endorsement