[OSM-talk] newbie needs hand-holding

Nick Black nickblack1 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 30 10:58:52 BST 2006

Hi Dave,

And hello to the mailing list as this is my first post:)

I'm about to post a review of the Garmin GPS 60 on the Wiki, so keep
posted.  It shuold be up in the next few hours.

The Gecko is cheap, but lacks a some of the functionality of the (slightly)
more expensive Garmin models that have features like mapping, clear
graphical menus, saving numerous waypoints with different icons, saving more
routes with different names.  I also know that the accuracy of the older
Geckos isnt too great, 15m perhaps.

So far as GPS connectivity, the Garmins that I have experience of have all
been really straightforward to set up.  They come with some very basic
software called Map Source, that runs on XP and is pretty easy to use.  You
click an icon and download the tracks, which you can view on a map (usefull
to verify which tracks you are uploading).  From there, you will need to use
GPS Babel to convert files ot the GPX format, used by OSM.

I was using the GPS 60 to collect tracks in a car earlier this week and it
works fine, although it is usefull to get a lock on at least 4 satellites
before getting into the car.

About connectivity to a PowerBook - I'm not sure.

in summary, a handheld unit is fine for collecting data from a car and gives
you the versatility to collect on foot/bike/wahtever.  Connectivity has not
been a problem in my experience.

Good luck!

Nick