[OSM-talk] newbie needs hand-holding

Andy Robinson Andy_J_Robinson at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Mar 30 11:02:41 BST 2006

I think the actual gps received depends a lot on personal choice. However a
few comments:

1. A cheap handheld gps receiver, without mapping facilities, is fine if you
gust want to log where you have been.
2. A more expensive handheld gps receiver with mapping is good for both
logging tracks and navigating around when on foot and on a bike but less
useful in the car due to the lack of good navigation software (compared
generally with the competition) and generally has a small screen.
3. An in-car gps navigation system is good in the car for navigation but may
not log tracks and is not a huge amount of use outside the car.
4. A gps enabled (built in) PDA is great for multi use including navigation
and logging in the car and can be used for other functions, such as playing
music while travelling and making notes as you go, but its not as ideal for
a rugged outdoor environment. It's also not a particularly good item to
mount on a bike (I stick mine in my back pocket).
5. A gps receiver (wireless or wired) coupled to a mobile device (phone or
pda) or a laptop, offers more flexibility but probably requires more
technical patience in getting it to do what you want.

I have some comments on my user page on the use of a Garmin Legend vis an
Acer PDA. http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/User:Blackadder

Hope this is of some use.

Andy Robinson
Andy_J_Robinson at blueyonder.co.uk