[OSM-talk] OSM-DVD and IoW-CD (was: ANNOUNCE: OSMF)

immanuel.scholz at gmx.de immanuel.scholz at gmx.de
Thu Mar 30 11:56:21 BST 2006

Hi,

Ok, now since there seem to be a critical mass of people gathered that are
interested in an offline version of the raw data, I will start to work on a
script that will create some CD / DVD out of the database.

I hope to get all ready to the IoW next month (and a couple of days). I want
to present you a DVD of the whole data as well as a CD of all the data
gathered during the event.

Is this acceptable? Can you wait until then? (Not that you would have a
choice... MUAHAHA! ;-)

Now I want you say what features do you like to see (priorize them please):

- read-only database in mysql format on the cd (required)
- local OSM server API that connect to the read-only database
- runs under Linux (the easy way)
- also runs under Windows (hard to do!)
- firefox on the cd which opens on cd-insertion
- <add you suggestions here>

I would like to have someone...

- coming to the IoW who brings a DVD burner along.
- with a highspeed, 24/7 internet access that would like to host a torrent
tracker after this is done.

> I am worried that such "despotism" already results in
> a de-facto denial of the database access.

This is not because any political reasons, but because the database server
hardly can breath anymore (Steve is just now gone to gather more hardware),
because there is no local attached DVD-burner available (data won't fit on CD
anymore) and because there does not exist any data preparation tools or
scripts yet (http://trac.openstreetmap.org/ticket/85 or 136 has been there
for more than 4 month without anyone of you accepting it ;)

Ciao, Imi.