[OSM-talk] Prolification of the amenity tag

80n 80n80n at gmail.com
Wed Nov 29 14:14:16 GMT 2006

On 11/29/06, Nick Whitelegg <Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk> wrote:

> >While I agree on gpx uploads of flightpaths being withheld from OSM I do
> >that only because it confuses. However with respect to other geo data
> that
> >represents physical features (and the wifi access point hardware is a
> >physical feature) then why do we care what type of geo data the database
> >holds. I'm concerned that we are not thinking outside the box if we set
> >restrictions based on traditional mapping. If my kids want to produce a
> map
> >of all the bubble gum machines in the area why would I not want to let
> them
> >(tooth decay permitting!), they would be producing an innovative map and
> one
> >which has value to a certain group of society. It was the potential for
> this
> >innovation in mapping that drew me to OSM in the first place.
>
> It's a valid point but I think that things like bubble-gum machines, or
> other custom data, would be best served in a mash-up. If someone wanted to
> do an OSM-based mashup of bubble-gum machines, it would be quite easy to
> develop (e.g. combine the OSM map as a base layer and overlay markers of
> bubblegum machines as in your typical Google mashup).
>
> Storing custom data in OSM itself necessitates rendering extra maps, and
> storage of extra tiles... something requiring much more overhead than a
> simple mashup. If each type of "special interest" data required its own
> renderer, the number of renderers, and the amont of storage required,
> would quickly escalate.

Nick
I hope the number of rules files for renderers does quickly escalate.  There
needs to be a very different rendering of maps for golf course, ski resorts,
theme parks, unversity campuses, motor racing circuits, etc, etc.

Using mashups is one way of combining the data.  But this is really just a
hack because there is no easy way of making a fully integrated custom map.

A mashup cannot (AFAIK) seamlessly merge data from different sources
together into one unified map.  The OSM approach using a custom rules file
makes this almost trivial to do.

80n

Nick