[OSM-talk] open data

Thomas Walraet thomas at walraet.com
Thu Sep 21 14:12:44 BST 2006

Joerg Ostertag (OSM Munich/Germany) a écrit :

> Sorry to ask; But what are your suggestions for application like gpsdrive on
> slamm PDA displays?
> I personally would suggest a reference in the online Help, READme and man page
> should be sufficient.

As required by the Apache License...
The use of a logo should not be required IMHO, but this could be
presented as a way to indicate the data source.

Does anybody here think we will sue someone for illegal use of data
distributed by OSM ?

The more I think about it, the more I think we should write our own
license. A very simple license. It will probably not be
"lawyer-compliant", but the fact is that OSM will never begin a legal
action for copyright infringement. (as said before, it's more likely
that we will talk about on the web and let the shame be cast on the bad guy)

I'd be happy with a 3 lines license which state that
- The data is freely available for any use.
- Attribution to OSM should appear somewhere (logo, about page, little
sentence on the margin), preferably with a link to OSM website where
individual contributor can be listed.
- An invitation to contribute to OSM if improvement are made to the data.

This is a sort of CC-BY, but deliberately not a CC license.

PS: I will not agree my contributions to be switch to PD or equivalent.